Campus 2 Corporate


The sun used to rise with me, but there were days when I didn't even see the sun light. Now, I sit here in this garden. As always being very specific about my seat, I chose a bench that gave me the least view of humans, because I am myself disturbed and I am in no mood to see more around me. In the garden, I see an open piece of land between checkered slabs, planted with saplings which are supposed to catch up quickly in this season. And to my shock most of them are dried, with dropped leaves and drooped branches, lifeless and ready to be plucked out and replaced. A few though, are vibrant with life and full of energy, probably, by draining others’ of their assets. Oh, yes, the corporate culture.  
If a bunch of strangers are made to have lunch together for a few years, they may end up either friends or enemies. But if a bunch of professionals are put in the same situation, they end up with a relation that is a little more than anonymity and a lot less than familiarity. Here, we can make very few friends and lose many more. Yes, I have experienced. There will be a variety of awkward situations, one ends up saying thanks to the same person he/she said sorry a few minutes ago, smiling at the same person one shouted on the previous day, and an eternal cold war. Even after having Corporate Culture's rules and manners neatly scraped everywhere in the office campus, I see people who use the time during meetings more effectively by browsing what lingers in their mouths post-lunch and picking noses, of course their own. The first half of the corporate life goes in understanding what is expected of you and the second half goes in digesting the same.
Simply, what appears weird to me and unique to people already settled here, is put into a phrase “Corporate Culture”.
Life was different back then, when I was not a part of this so called culture. The thoughts in my mind ran like this.
In spite of having a cell phone and novel always in my hands, I still had place to hold an ice cream on the way back home from college. Now I have both my hands free but no energy. I used to love rain, but not now. Because the only way I can enjoy it now, is through a glass window. I am brought into an understanding that I will be no more in a presentable way now here, if I enjoy rain in my own way.   
I feel every job on the way to my present-destination seems more than right for me. I see in people’s eyes the love for their job. A gardener cuts grass with utmost care, a soldier loves a country more than himself, a doctor cares for others’ life just like his own, a salesman explains the beauty of the product, making people realize having it would be a wonderful feeling.
I see many stars in my office, many more stars than one can see in the sky. Here is how it happens, the always-on lights on the ceiling of the office gets reflected in the few fortunate glass-panes which are unveiled of their shutters.
Everyone thinks, I am waiting to cross the road, but actually I want to cross the road, break the rules, change the juvenile society, climb the ladder and reach out to the sky, the sky with actual stars.
The mosquitoes remind me of the dirt I can write about, the crowd reminds of population, the traffic about pollution, huge buildings about so-called development, but here I am surrounded by things about which I can only rant about, but not write.