The One that got away - Part 2



Surfacing myself from the dreamy nightmare, stabilizing my stilettos on the checkered floor, I called for a cab. We din't say our goodbyes, not this time or anytime before. At that moment I knew how exactly did Holly from PS, I love you felt. I was counselling myself, take a deep breath, expand your lips, give thoughts a break, close your ears and importantly, take help if necessary. I asked the cab driver to switch on the radio, 'The one that got away' by Katy Perry started playing. Here I am, back to square one. 

I closed my eyes. Scenes from my life were appearing like screenshots of memories flashing one after the other, our days together, long drives, no time for anyone else, always on cloud nine, few sacrifices, some differences, flood of gifts, here and there arguments, slamming of doors, short-lived reconciliations, again gifts, troubling possessiveness, many misunderstandings, ignoring of calls, busy days, giving time a chance to occupy the distance between us, signing a BFF agreement, promising to wish on special occasions, and today the accidental meeting.  

The span of 3 years expressed in a single sentence is a dry gist of: all kinds of emotions, my reactions to these emotions, its' effects on others, their patience in helping me, the strength needed to cope up with it, the gradually approaching positive energy and a better Me. Yet another para of illustration and it is still a dry gist. Any number of pages can only diminish the options to explain, but can never express it in life-like manner. It is like a shallow river; everyone would judge it as easily reachable, but only few can make it to the other end. Same way, only few who'd visited the island of unloved understood this.

We din't technically break up. This is what we felt about our separation, 'This parting will help us make this relationship better than what it was. We will smile at each other. We promised we are going to be in contact forever. We let the world free to judge and assume. It is an answer to the elders, a question to the youngsters, a slap on the apparent sacrosanct climaxes of Indian movies. Our relationship is not like a flower to bloom and wither. Its like a season, long and lasting, often changing and yet never ending. We din't dump each other neither did the fate decide this; we chose this next step of our lives. Fate's plan was to entwine us together, but we changed it. We proved the world that two best friends can be lovers and lovers can take a step back to being friends too.' 

With a jerk of the cab, I came back to reality. I reached my home, forgetting the party I was supposed to join. I did all the stuff that young women in movies do when they think of 'the one that got away'. After 3 hours of self-depraving, my eyes fell on the newspaper. As I opened it, a small soft toy fell into my lap. My eyes widened as a smile crossed my face I read the message addressed to me, "Time to replace old memories. You deserve much than what you have now. Happy Valentine's Day. Go, check your bus ticket". Grabbing my bag, I emptied it completely to find the crumpled ticket in a corner. It said, "Concentrate on your passion. That's the love of your life. Happy Valentine's Day. Diva, check your office mail". My eyes fell on the non-red packages spread on the table. I opened each one of them, the first two turned out business-related. The third package was bulky than others, I sprang to my feet when I saw my favorite novel tucked in velvet lying in it. The next one contained a 'Admission Card' to a course I was planning to take. Another, had a letter. It ended with, "We are waiting!!" 

I was out on the road within no time!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eagerly waiting for part 3

Post a Comment