The Road of Relations

Yesterday, I was walking on the road. Not that this is the first time I am walking, but it is very rare for me to come out at 7 in the morning. I didn't know the day starts so early for many people, maybe I live in my own world. Its really surprising to see what all that happens during these early mornings. I saw small groups of beggars (many may feel this as an inappropriate word, but a substitute won't change the meaning) sitting, probably with their families or friends, having a hearty chit-chat. They were sharing that little food, they held preciously in their hands bought at the places where I as a student with limited-preserved pocket-money used to go. Every time I give a coin to a beggar, I had named the feeling I see in their faces as Happiness. But now realised that was just gratefulness. Happiness is what I saw in their eyes when they are with their loved ones. But the question is which of these two feelings is of prime importance. This is yet another doubt added to the humongous number of confusions in my life.
Then I saw a young couple walking hand in hand. The guy was on a call and the girl was busy selecting songs in her iPod. Initially, I assumed that to be just another example of our modern life. They were together only physically and were walking being each engaged with their own self. The next moment the girl placed one of the earphones in her partner's ears and smiled warmly. The guy smiled back with the look that said I am-happy-to-have-you-by-my-side and responded quickly by hanging up his cell. This small incident taught me the meaning of perfect understanding. It is giving our mates their own space and at the same time not giving them a chance to miss you.
I took a turn from that road and headed in a different direction. But it's only later that I came to know that it was not just a turn, but a twist. I saw a half-naked woman, around 50 lying on the footpath shouting in the language of pain and only pain. I saw a dosa bandi here too, only that the bandi had no customers. He reduced the rate and increased the size of dosa. But for no use. I saw a lovely couple, the guy was trying to catch up with the girl walking ahead of him, trying to talk, maybe convince. But for no use. A college student who missed his bus, tried painfully hard to catch it. But for no use. This is it I thought, that turn there was the end of Road Of Relations.
As the time passed by few minutes and my walk crossed by few kilometres, the road became busy with some students rushing to their colleges, some waiting for their buses, eyes on cell, fingers punching the keypad and a smile on face. People appeared to carry an I am-all-geared-up aura around them. Yes, they were employees both white-collared and blue. The chai-wala has already started serving his customers-cum- dearest friends.The dosa stall uncle was putting up a tent before his bandi, the chai-wala was helping him and people have already started flooding.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet! I liked how you observed and made sense of everything.

Monica Yelkur said...

Thanks, Chintha. This was one of first writing pieces.

Anonymous said...

You write really well

Post a Comment